December 5, 2011

Irving Berlin's ~ ♫ "White Christmas" ♫

"White Christmas" is an Irving Berlin song reminiscing about an old-fashioned Christmas setting. 

According to the Guinness Book of World Records, the version sung by Bing Crosby is the best-selling single of all time, with estimated sales in excess of 50 million copies worldwide.
Accounts vary as to when and where Berlin wrote the song. One story is that he wrote it in 1940, poolside at a hotel in Phoenix, Arizona.

The first public performance of the song was by Bing Crosby, on his NBC radio show The Kraft Music Hall, on Christmas Day, 1941.  The recording is not believed to have survived.
He subsequently recorded the song with the John Scott Trotter Orchestra and the Ken Darby Singers for Decca Records on May 29, 1942, and it was released on July 30 as part of an album of six 78-rpm songs from the film Holiday Inn.


By the end of October 1942, "White Christmas" topped the "Your Hit Parade" chart. It remained in that position until well into the new year. (It has often been noted that the mix of melancholy — "just like the ones I used to know" — with comforting images of home — "where the treetops glisten" — resonated especially strongly with listeners during World War II. The Armed Forces Network was flooded with requests for the song.

Following its prominence in the musical Holiday Inn, the composition won the Academy Award for Best Original Song in 1942. In the film, Bing Crosby sings "White Christmas" as a duet with actress Marjorie Reynolds, though her voice was dubbed by Martha Mears.

Throught the years there's been many versions of this old holiday favorite.
Allmusic.com lists over 6100 covers for the song White Christmas.


The version I like is by Mitch Miller and the Gang, recorded in 1961.
Mitch Miller included the song on his album Holiday Sing Along with Mitch.
Instead of the lyrics, Miller printed a disclaimer on the album cover stating "The publisher assumes everyone knows the lyrics to this song!"



Click to listen:    Mitch Miller & the Gang  - White Christmas
♫ ~ ~ ♫ ~ ~ ♫ ~ ~ ♫ ~ ~ ♫ ~ ~ ♫


Do you have a favorite version of White Christmas ?

.

14 comments:

  1. White Christmas sung by Bing is the best version as far as I am concerned. Many singers do sing it well though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite will always be Bing's, although others are very good. Loved the info! All blessings to you and yours. Now a follower-

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Shelly
    Welcome to my blog and thank you for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi gloW, thanks so much for following my blog, I'm very flattered.

    I love White Christmas and the one that I've been listening to over the years is also sung by Bing Crosby. Perhaps, I'm showing my age.

    Have a great day and thanks for this interesting piece of history about this great Christmas song.
    Have a great day. JB

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello!
    I'm glad to have found you, also. I love old-fashioned Christmas music and movies. I listen to and watch the classics, every year and I will never tire of them. I am working on a set of bookmarks with the Bing Crosby lyrics of White Christmas. Be blessed and stay warm!~Cynthia

    P.S. I know this is a short hello, but i have to return to my art studio to work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi,

    Thank you for stopping by my blog & commenting. I am now a follower of your blog as well. Haven't had the chance to read too much yet, but I will. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just found your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Cynthia... I can't wait to see those new bookmarks you are working on with the Bing Crosby lyrics of White Christmas.
    Thank you for taking the time to visit my Blog and for becoming a Follower.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "Tee-labo Designs" and "Renee"....
    a big Texas Welcome to both of you.
    Nice to have you visit my Blog

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice blog.

    NEW FOLLOWER.

    Elizabeth

    http://silversolara.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi - I love Bing Crosby and dare I say, I love how my husband sings it - amazing :-)
    And I really like your blog
    Love Gail
    peace.....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Glow, Hey did you get snow? We did up here in N.Tx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Renee!
    Thank you for becoming one of my followers!
    I just visited your blog too. ;-)
    Snow !!!! Your north of Dallas aren't you?
    We don't get Snow in my neck of the woods. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am half way between Ft Worth and WichtaFalls Texas, Decatur Area :)

    ReplyDelete